Monday, May 09, 2011

You See, First You Mine, Then You Craft

While the PSN has been down for over half a month now, I’ve recently picked up Minecraft. I’ve been playing both single player, and in a small multiplayer group for the past few days and thus far I have to say this game is simultaneously adicting, and undeniably pointless. I’m far from the first to feel a compulsion to write about this game but it has been an excellent source of entertainment since I finally cracked and joined the teaming masses that have taken to building underground hovels and elaborate block homes for themselves.

While the game isn’t much on story, in that there isn’t one, it is pretty high up there on the “Indie credibility”. It’s unique, if you can discount the game that it drew its primary inspiration from and it is infectious. I burned through 6 hours of my day playing before I even got off of my couch yesterday. One can certainly get lost in the game, but without a doubt, it’s worth taking a rather long look into the Minecraft wiki before you really dive into any real attempt at playing. The game certainly has its downsides including but not limited to: Surprisingly high system requirements (not that there are official requirements but that a computer over 3 years old will suffer playing a game that looks very much like it was written in the good old days of Doom, “Mobs” that seem to spawn right around when you’re trying to get on with something “important” (like building that ever crucial door so you can actually keep the monsters out of your personal dwelling), and the lack of a minimap.

That said, for every time the game seems to follow the pattern of lag, surround me with enemies, respawn in unfamiliar territory I get to enjoy a good chunk of time building a tower, or tunneling for valuable resources. As Yahtzee mentions in his video you really do need to create your own fun. You need a project, but you can certainly earn all of the resources required to build your highly elaborate new personal dwelling, or your absurd decorative sculpture. I can say that I am immensely happy to have finally stumbled upon this game, but I can also say that there would have been a post up almost 48 hours earlier if it weren’t for Minecraft.

Assuming that the sheer amount of improvement that could go into the game gets put in before it does leave beta, the game will be phenomenally polished, and noticeably more addicting than any MMO I’ve caved on, and played the 7 day trial for. I can say with great certainty that I enjoy Minecraft, and that I’ve yet to meet a person who’s played it, that doesn’t like it. Play the single player demo, get a handle on how things work, and then start in playing with your friends. The game is infectious, and you’ll burn through entre days before you realize that you’ve managed to accomplish nothing that can  be seen outside of the game you’re playing.

1 comment:

  1. While this is enlightening on the subject of a game that i've thought about playing, the last thing i need in my life is a game where i need to set a goal for myself. i can't even decide how to deal with breakfast on most mornings, a "hey, you, build shit game" will only move me closer to a lethargic attitude.

    more importantly, the game does look interesting, but i don't think playing an advanced game of Lego on my computer versus a real life tub of Lego in my living room holds sway over me. it is, however, much cheaper then Lego, so that is a win.

    ReplyDelete